Monday, June 7, 2010

The Joyful, Yet Sad, End of School

Well, I've been fussed at by several people because I have not posted for awhile. Being a "stepteacher" keeps you busy! Plus I try to write about significant things and sometimes I'm just not inspired.

However, in a couple of days, my life will change yet again as I enter the temporary ranks of the unemployed for the summer. Our school year is over on Wednesday, June 9, and thus will end a six-week chapter that I have thoroughly enjoyed - as a first grade teacher to 13 amazing young 'uns! They've made me laugh and pushed every one of my "buttons" - love 'em each and every one! We've gone on a field trip, had field day and Dairy Day, and the next couple of days will be filled with activities, parties, etc.

Of course, the children are loving the fact of no homework! They kept asking me about it until I finally told them I'd be happy to give them some which brought them to their senses! :-)

The hardest part of this job, other than organizing my lesson plans and doing report cards online (very challenging), is trying to keep them interested and engaged in what I'm saying. Needless to say, their attention spans aren't exactly monumentally long! I've found that letting them participate a LOT in the lesson is definitely the best way to go!

The best part was when I got to read books to them - I LOVED that! We read several "Junie B" books and others as part of the curriculum and I enjoyed trying to make the books come to life. There's nothing worse than someone just reading without any real expression - borrrring!!

The ironic part about all this is now that I've found what I really want to do when I grow up, the county is going through all sorts of money woes and laying teachers off right and left. Doesn't that just figure?? That doesn't exactly fill me with incentive to apply for a job when I meet good teachers who are not being rehired because they are unlucky enough to be first-year teachers.

So folks, the moral of my tale is to figure out what you want to do with your life when you're YOUNG. Even though I did go to school and got my teaching certificate, I was never able to find a job and quickly decided that I'd go in another direction - which I did for 25 years. While I don't really regret my time spent in insurance, I wish I had come into teaching much sooner. Ah well...

No comments:

Post a Comment